If you’re looking for an easy guide to install Node.js and npm on OS X and macOS — this is it.
Homebrew installs the stuff you need that Apple (or your Linux system) didn’t. $ brew install wget Homebrew installs packages to their own directory and then symlinks their files into /usr/local. This are my results on OSX 1068: ruby -v ruby 2.3.0p0 (2015-12-25 revision 53290) x8664-darwin10.0 brew -v Homebrew 1.3.4 Homebrew/homebrew-core (git revision 897df; last commit 2017-10-06) And after: brew update brew -v Homebrew 1.3.5 Homebrew/homebrew-core (git revision 713fe; last commit 2017-10-15) npm -v 5.4.2 and doing: sudo npm install [email protected] -g sudo npm i -g npm npm -v 5.5.1.
Before we get started, are you listening to JS Party? If not, you should be! Maybe start with our episode all about best practices for Node developers. ✊
The installation uses MacPorts. Homebrew is also possible from source.An alternative that is fast and works on all recent versions of OSX is installing on a Linux virtual machine; there are pre-built virtual machine images available. Homebrew is a free and open-source software which is used as package management system that simplifies the installation of software on Apple's macOS operatin. Download Homebrew for free. Open-source, free package manager for Mac and Linux. HomeBrew is a open source package manager for Mac and Linux systems to easily install programs that Apple or your Linux system did not provide. Consider supporting the project on their Patreon!
The default method for installing Node.js is to download a pre-built installer for your platform, install it and make sure it’s on your
However, if you’re a Homebrew fan like me and prefer to install all of your packages with it — ensuring your packages are installed using the same commands and directories and allowing Homebrew to easily manage upgrades and updates — then this guide will help you get started.
Install Node.js and npm with Homebrew
First, install Homebrew.
brew update to make sure Homebrew is up to date.
As a safe measure you should run
brew doctor to make sure your system is ready to brew. Run the command below and follow any recommendations from brew doctor.
Next, add Homebrew’s location to your
$PATH in your
Next, install Node (npm will be installed with Node):
To test out your Node and npm install, try installing Grunt (you might be asked to run with sudo):
If that worked then congratulations — you’ve installed Node.js, npm, and Grunt.
If not — retrace your steps or post a question to Stack Overflow.
Listen to related podcasts on The Changelog
Since you’re interested in Node.js, npm, and Homebrew — listen to some recent related podcasts we’ve done on those subjects.
youtube-dl is an Open Source command line tool that lets you download video from YouTube (and many other videos sites). It’s often considered better than those paid video downloaders. In our previous article, we saw how to use youtube-dl to download videos on Android terminal. Even Windows has a YouTube GUI client, there are no such resources available for macOS. So, in this article, we’ll give you a walkthrough on how to install youtube dl on mac. Let’s begin.
Read: 5 best ways to Password Protect folders on mac
Download Homebrew On Mac
1. To install, youtube-dl, you need to install Wget first. And in order to install Wget, you need to install homebrew first. So, copy paste the following command on your Mac’s terminal (press cmd + space and type in terminal). Once you run the following command, you Mac will download Homebrew master file from Github. You may have to enter your Mac’s password several times. The whole process will take 10-15 minutes depending on your Internet speed.
Free Homebrew Software
2. Once you have downloaded Homebrew, you are ready to install Wget. Type in the following command and also enable OpenSSL for TLS support.
3. Now that we have Wget to download packages from the internet, we will use it to download and install Youtube-dl package. Type in the following command and press enter.
4. You have now successfully installed youtube-dl on your Mac, however, it won’t work yet. To check you can type youtube-dl on your terminal and it’ll throw a permission error. To fix this, you need to give the right permissions, type in the following command and press enter.
Downloading Homebrew On Mac
5. And that’s it, now you should be able to download YouTube videos (or any videos from youtube-dl supported sites) by simply typing youtube-dl [video-link]. For example, to download one of my videos from YouTube, I’ll type in the following command.
6. You can find the downloaded video in your home folder on your mac. To bring up the home folder simply go to Finder > Go > Home or press the keyboard shortcut CMD + Shift + H.
Must Read: 10 Free macOS apps to boost your Productivity
How To Download Homebrew On Mac
Download 1080p video using FFmpeg
By default, FFmpeg will download the second highest resolution. You may have to install FFmpeg to get the highest quality video. Without FFmpeg, you will likely get the second highest which in our case was 720p. To install FFmpeg, type in the following command.
brew install youtube-dl ffmpeg
Install Homebrew On Mac
Also Read: 5 ways to transfer files from mac to mac
Download And Install Homebrew On Mac
So, this is how you use youtube-dl to download videos using your terminal. The app works exactly as advertised, yet not many people know about it. Anyway, if you wish to change your download location or download different resolution of the video, you can check out youtube-dl command line parameters on Github.