This tutorial will show you how to download and install Audacity on your Mac for free. Audacity is the largest free, open-source, audio editor available. Go to the external download page Left-click this link, do not right-click; In the 64-bit FFmpeg section, left-click the link 'FFmpeg64bitMACOSXforAudacity2.3.1andabove.zip' Some Mac computers may extract the files from the zip automatically to a new folder in the Downloads directory called: FFmpeg64bit MAC OSX for Audacity. Download Audacity 2.4.2 for Mac from FileHorse. 100% Safe and Secure Easy-to-use, multi-track audio editor and recorder for Mac. Go to the Mac Download page of the Audacity site. On the download page, left-click the 'installer' link, the.dmg file. This takes you to the FossHub site where our downloads are hosted. On the FossHub Audacity page left-click the Audacity macOS DMG link. This will start the download. Once the download has completed to your Downloads folder. Download Audacity for Mac & read reviews. An audio-city for your Mac.
Download Audacity 2.2.2 Mac© Shutterstock It's easy to export Audacity files into MP3s. Shutterstock
- To export Audacity files as MP3s, you just need to use the 'Export' option in the program's 'File' menu.
- Older versions of Audacity can't export MP3s natively, and you'll need to install an add-on called the 'LAME MP3 encoder' to do so.
- When you export an Audacity file as an MP3 track, you can specify its name, artist, genre, and more.
- Visit Business Insider's Tech Reference library for more stories.
Audacity is a popular audio-editing program that's free, powerful, and easy to use.
Using Audacity, you can produce music, podcasts, and other audio projects without needing to buy an expensive commercial audio program.
When your audio project is completed, though, you typically need to save it as an MP3 so it can be published and shared.
Luckily, exporting Audacity files as MP3s only takes a moment. Here's how to do it using Audacity on your Mac or PC.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Apple Macbook Pro (From $1,299.00 at Apple)
Acer Chromebook 15 (From $179.99 at Walmart)
How to export Audacity files as MP3s
1. In Audacity, click 'File' at the top of the screen.
Gallery: 6 ways that Apple's next major iPhone OS update makes it much, much more like Android (Business Insider)
2. In the drop-down menu, click 'Export' and then choose 'Export as MP3.'© Dave Johnson/Business Insider Save your audio as an MP3 via the Export menu. Dave Johnson/Business Insider
3. At the bottom of the dialog box in the Format Options section, choose your MP3 settings. As a general rule, you'll get the best results by choosing 'Constant' for the 'Bit Rate Mode' rather than one of the variable bitrate options. Choose the bitrate from the 'Quality' drop-down menu (if in doubt, choose 192 kbps or higher) and then save your file.
How To Download Audacity On Mac Youtube© Dave Johnson/Business Insider For best results, save your file as a constant bitrate MP3 at 192 kbps or higher. Dave Johnson/Business Insider
4. In the 'Edit Metadata Tags' window, fill in as much information as you desire about your MP3 file. This data is entirely optional, but will be visible if you import your file into programs like iTunes. Click 'OK' when you're done.© Dave Johnson/Business Insider This metadata may be visible in certain audio apps. Dave Johnson/Business Insider
How to export Audacity files as MP3s using older versions of Audacity
In older versions of Audacity, you couldn't convert audio to MP3 without first installing an MP3 encoder add-on to your Mac or PC. This is because the encoding library was protected by a patent, and couldn't legally be included with Audacity.
The patent has expired, though, and the most current version of Audacity includes the MP3 encoder. If you have an older version of Audacity, you can install the LAME MP3 encoder, and then restart Audacity.
However, it's easier to just install the latest version of Audacity. If you do, not only will you get built-in MP3 exports, but you'll receive an improved version of Audacity as well.